Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What's In Your Greenhouse?


I have been thinking about living in a house again. I've been in a condo since the fall of 2005. There have been a lot of good things about living in a condo--like outside doors locked at 5 pm. This has given me a feeling of safety as a newly single woman. And there are more conveniences: garbage pickup, recycling, ground maintenance, covered parking, cheap to heat, no yard care. The last one is a plus and a minus. Right now, if I still lived on the mini farm, I'd be checking out the green house on a sunny winter day. Here, a greenhouse would be pretty warm on a 50 degree day. If one had heated beds in the greenhouse, tomatoes could be growing, ready for a head start in the garden. I've also would start broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage in my green house. These plants all transplant fine. With the coldframe, I've started greens, radishes, onions. Even in Spokane when the temps are pretty low at night, I had early vegetables. It was an amazing thing to see, these little plants in a neighbors coldframe. I got excited and built my own. It's easy, just build a box with the back side taller than the front. Get a used window from the salvage store and hinge it to the top. Set it up next to the house on the south side. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much heat it generates. But a few bricks in there to hold the heat and night. Radishes in no time. Ciao, Flower

No comments: