Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Terry Tempest Willimas


Last night Terry spoke in our little town of Bellingham and she had a fabulous turnout and was lovingly received. I had never heard her speak and was more than impressed. So much so that I was inspired to take my work in the direction I've been thinking about for some time. For a long time I've believed that doing your own thing, such as tending a garden or doing healing work, was enough to make change in the world. Changing oneself allows a space in everyone to change. And I still believe this is true. I've seen it work. Change my own behavior and my child changes, my grandchild changes.

Now I'm wondering what it would be like to notch it up a step. What if it's not just a pea patch garden but a place where extra food is donated, where native plants are grown, where somehow an awareness comes from the efforts put toward tending dirt and seed and root and weed? Well, I have no answers here, since mission is personal, and may or may not be able to be decided. Perhaps it is given, like Terry's mosaic mission. The word mosaic became meaningful in a way that she had no idea it would, and it touched us all, 100s of folks sniffling in the audience. Excerpts from her new book where fabulous: Finding Beauty in a Broken World I'll be reading it, that is for sure. Perhaps you'd like to too.

So my suggestion: ask for a guiding word. See what comes.
Ciao, Flower

No comments: