Sunday, January 11, 2009

Flooding and Other Winter Troubles

You may know about the flooding here in the PNW. The stream that runs past the community garden has left it's banks. Fortunately, here in Fairhaven it isn't doing any damage. Other streams have gone from two feet wide to more than a football field wide. It truly is amazing all the water. Down on the Skagit flats, it looks like one continuous lake. The trumpeter swans are in the fields that are dry. This happens every year, these big white birds fly into the farmer's fields and create a little havoc.

The gardens right now are soggy and gardening seems so far off. What to do until potatoes and peas? Well, shop at your local garden stores. Plan what you will grow. Try doing a garden journal. I kept one for awhile, sketching the shapes of my beds and what perennials I'd planted. It was a new yard back then, so keeping track of the trees was a good idea--I couldn't remember all the apples trees I planted, let alone the unusual perennials I found at Heronswood Nursery.

So now, since the winter is keeping us all in a bit--so much rain--I was thinking of getting the inside work done. Cleaning out cupboards, discarding unneeded items. It won't be long before we'll all be back outside. Also being the beginning of the year, refining goals is important. I seem to have a goal of socializing. Hard to get much work done this way, but lots of fun. Especially after the nasty divorce and all the downer time I had. Well it's good for the soul.

Keep dreaming, Flower

No comments: