Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sauk Mountain


Well, an amazing thing. I was just talking about tiger lilies and then I saw fields of wild tiger lilies on the hike up Sauk Mountain. Also Indian paintbrush, purple bells, johnny jump-up, yellow shooting stars, buttercup, and more. Our spring was longer than usual this year, and the mountains had record snowfall. There were snow fields at the top of the mountain, 5,000+ feet—I believe. Don't quote me on this, and the hike, with a number of switchbacks, was a little strenuous. Not for my friend, Peter, as he hikes all the time. But me, I'm a walk about girl. I usually do around 3 miles a day. Or perhaps more, with side trips to the store, the garden, the coffee shop. It all adds up, but in the end, I'm not much of a hiker these days. But I did fine. 2.5 miles up and 2.5 back. A nice little snack at the top--nuts and apple and Cliff bar. There was even a chipmunk that ate out of my hand. I know, I know, black plague, but there hasn't been any in our neck of the woods since…

With a long spring and berry bushes not blooming in the higher country the animals have come down lower to look for food. Lots of deer and bear, even in areas that are residential. I saw plenty of bear in the woods in Idaho, and recently in Joseph, a small black bear came walking up the road near the cabin. I'm only relaying the story, as I didn't see it with my own eyes, but from what everyone said, I'd just missed running into it by a few seconds. The bear can be dangerous, they do bite. They are looking for food, not trouble, however. If you see one, of course, make yourself big and growl or shout. With grizzles, you're supposed to play dead. And there are always trees to climb. Me, I just go the other way.


As for the garden, tomorrow I will tell you how it's going. Tonight I need some sleep, so later alligators.


Flower

No comments: