Thursday, July 24, 2008

Zamboni



Sounds like an African greeting, Hello there,my friend, but what it really is is Broccoli-Raab. I planted it earlier this summer and it did little. That and the bok choi, only produced a couple of small plants. But it can be sown again in late summer, so I'll replant. The seed packet, which my cat thinks is a new cat toy, it's the shaker sound that intrigues him, says it is best planted in a sunny location in "fairly rich well drained soil." This is the problem, I'm betting, the lack of "fairly rich well drained soil" in my garden. For those who don't know, Broccoli-raab (Rapini) Zamboni has small flowerbuds and leaves that spice up salads and can be steamed as greens. I thought that it would taste like broccoli, but it tastes a little more cabbage and mustard-like. It's good and grows quickly.


The other plant I'll sow is Italian Parsley. This one is nice, in that it is flat-leafed. The curly parsley is harder to clean. The flat only takes a quick rinse, then chop and throw in with the zucchini and onions and tomatoes and sauce, and viola, spaghetti sauce. I made this type of sauce frequently when the kids were little. They loved it. I seasoned it up with fresh basil and parsley and garlic, salt and pepper and oregano, and it was the most delicious sauce one could ever wish for, chunky with fresh vegetables and delicious.


The other great dish I've been meaning to tell you about comes from a great cookbook called Recipes from an Ecological Kitchen Saute a bunch of kale in olive oil with three cloves garlic. Add water, raisins, cinnamon, and toasted pine nuts. Season with tamari. This one is so delicious that even someone who says they don't eat greens will yum it up.


Everyday, I eat greens at three meals. Greens are higher in calcium than milk products, and as I am dairy intolerant, they are a good bet for me. At breakfast I make an omelet with spinach or broccoli, at lunch a salad and protein, at dinner, steamed vegetables and chicken or fish or beef. My naturopath says that eating carbs between meals will lower cholesterol. I've been doing this for over six months now. The next time I get my cholesterol checked, I'll let you know if it works or not.


Okay, onto my editing group. Happy gardening and enjoy midsummer.


Ciao!


No comments: