Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fall Already?


Wow, what's with this cold weather. Today, the sky is gray. Really, it feels like fall. When I first moved to the PNW someone told me that you never took the winter quilt off your bed. This is an exaggeration, as there are plenty of hot nights where the air is so still that the house doesn't cool down. Living around water, though, there is usually a breeze. And when it's hot for a long period, the heat, or high pressures systems bring in the cool marine air. I always like to say that, cool marine air. When I was growing up in Spokane, we never said, cool marine air, we said things like muggy, heat lightning, triple digits. We had to stay indoors when it was too hot and take our salt pills. The vegetables, as long as they were watered, grew like maniacs. Here, I can go without watering, because there might be a sprinkling of rain, like last night, and then today, I can let it go. Conservation.

Today, it feels like fall, sweatshirt weather this morning, rain coming in later tonight. I won't water today. This is the kind of weather that makes the powdery mildew grow, the plants that are susceptible to blight and rot, will succumb. Maybe the tomatoes won't make it, although at the farmers's market yesterday, there was a whole table of brandywines. So lucky. How do they do it. Ho hum, what a poor gardener I've turned out to be.

Next week I will sign the divorce papers. I guess that's been more on my mind than getting a fabulous garden growing. I should give myself some credit, there's plenty of spinach and some very nice lettuce that will be ready soon. Oh, I almost forgot, zucchini is on it's way.
Ciao!

No comments: