Saturday, August 2, 2008

"Hair Cut, Deer?"


I heard that if you leave your hair clippings around the garden, they will keep away the deer. So any time I'd cut hair, I'd spread the hair around the yard, try it out. I personally don't think it worked; however, a friend of mine swears that having her man pee the perimeter, would keep them away. Sort of a territorial thing, and it did seem to work. But of course it kept everyone else away too.

She had many rare and expensive plants she'd purchased at Heronwood Nursery on the Kitsap Peninsula. I haven't wanted to invest so much money in plants that might up and croak on me. And how could you sit out in a lovely yard and enjoy it with that stink?

Yesterday, on the way home from a meal out with a singles club--yes I'm getting myself out there--I passed two deer. One came up the stairs from the waterfront park, looked surprised to find itself on a busy road, then wandered into a neighborhood. The other was nibbling bushes in a pretty yard. I guy on a bike had stopped, to watch or to keep the poor thing safe from the hurling traffic?

There is always the Irish Spring, bars of soap hanging from trees. And less housing developments. They say deer are overpopulating our neighborhoods because of a lack of natural enemies. This is a sticky subject, some would argue differently, that there fine, and so are the bear and the coyotes, etc. And of course there is the late spring we had. It warmed up down here soon before the snow melted off in the mountains, so we have wildlife roaming our neighborhoods, looking for ripe berries and succulant leaves. I did see a deer in the mountains where the photo was taken, all that phlox and colombine and cow parsley. I found a book that might have the solution to nibbled greens, Deerproofing Your Yard and Garden

Okay then, it is gray and cold, but I will thin the beets anyway. I will keep up on this garden even though this is the time of year I get bored with it all. Champion on, garden goddess!
Ciao!

No comments: