Thursday, August 14, 2008

Roses, roses, roses!

At my old house I planted two climbing roses that were super cheap, in price that is, from the hardware store. They grew into beautiful red roses, one with flowers a little more perfect--like the long-stemmed roses you find in the store; the other, more open and loosely petaled, an old-fashioned garden rose is my guess. Both smelled heavenly--like real roses should smell--a mix of different scents: orange, violet, gardenia. Then I put in a third rose, an expensive vintage rose called Angel Face. Purplish-pink with a wide blossom and full with lots of tiny petals. Again a luscious scent--although it hasn't grown well. Not like I anticipated, and it has remained there in Kingston--the garden another thing I've had to leave behind.

Once, in my sadness over the loss of my mother, I consulted a psychic. She said my mother was there to speak to me, sort of like that show that's on TV. Always the relative is standing right there wanting to chat a little, bring up primary concerns, set folks at ease. So mom said she knew about the pink rose I'd planted. I said, what pink rose? I hadn't planted a pink rose. And of course, the color is slightly pink, only really a little more lavender, and I was thinking of it as purple. Finally I just said, okay, I know the rose and she said she was sorry her heart hadn't been open to me. She could see how much grief it had caused me. I started to cry. Ever since, when I think of that rose, I think of Mom. Somehow it made me feel better about the way things went.

Yesterday at Manito Gardens I photographed many roses--I'll publish them when I return home to B'ham. The gardens are in full bloom, the formal garden is laid out basically the same as it was when we were kids. Lots of geraniums, pansies, marigolds, saliva, etc. There's a fountain in the middle and the paths leading too it. Lovely and formal. Many wedding happen there. I prefer the perennial garden. I like the looseness of the plants and the variety. I prefer it over the rose garden too, although I do have an appreciation for all the varieties of roses and their lovely scents.

Tomorrow I'll be back to Tony Hillerman as I drive across state. Bernadette is still gathering seeds I suppose. It will be hotter going across the desert, as it has ramped the temperatures this week. I'm doing my friends hair for her wedding on Saturday. I suppose the weather will be fine for her event. Funny, we're on opposite treks now, divorce for me, marriage for her. I still admire and support the contract of marriage, and hopefully one day will be wed again, or at least love and be loved by someone special.

Later,
Flower

No comments: