Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Zucchini & Green Fried Tomatoes



There are so many jokes about zucchini, I happen to love it and eat it year around. It is great sauteed for breakfast with a couple of scrambled eggs cooked into it. I add a little salt and pepper and some goat cheese. And of course there is the zucchini bread, the zucchini cheese casserole that my mother used to make, and zucchini pickles. I also have fried up green tomatoes at the end of the season. I don't recall that I liked them much. Sort of tart.

I also like to cook zucchini and tomatoes with chicken; on the stove top I saute chicken legs or thighs with rounds of summer squash, sliced onions, and tomatoes. By the time the chicken is cooked through the vegetables have taken on the delicious flavor of onion and meat. Add a little basil for an Italian twist. Very tasty. For more recipes see The Classic Zucchini Cookbook

Yesterday at the garden I talked to my neighbor and she told me about zucchini pancakes. They are a mix of grated zucchini, onions, eggs, salt and pepper, and flour. These can be fried up and put in the freezer. Then year around you can enjoy them. I would try making them with rice flour or with spelt, as I am gluten intolerant. My mother used to make potato pancakes with leftover mashed potatoes. I bet one could mix eggs, leftover mashed potatoes and grated zucchini and fry it in pancakes. Yum. Well obviously I'll need to make breakfast soon, as I'm pretty hungry despite my upset stomach.

Now for the garden of my life news: I'll be moving my furniture this weekend from my ex's house, a.k.a. my house. So after tomorrow I won't post until Saturday late or Sunday morning. I have a sick feeling in my stomach from all of this, a feeling that reminds me of my last divorce, how sick I became and stayed for a long time after we split the sheets. This one is more devastating in some ways, since our lives were very invested in each others emotionally, financially, and career wise.

I'm working now on trusting the universe, that everything is in right order, that everything is in place to take me to my next stage in life. Why not let go? I think I've discussed this before—well, how does it work? I mean, it isn't something that is physical, like taking the trash out, it is actually a mental and emotional process. Perhaps the why is because I'm so afraid. People say I'm the bravest person they know. Well you know that bravery is just doing things despite the fear. So off I go, moving through the next step, feeling like I'm getting ready to have a surgical procedure without being put under.

Wish me luck,

Flower

No comments: