Saturday, August 9, 2008

Fall Planting


If you haven't put in your crops for the fall, it is time to do so. I have on occasion put in a fall crop of peas. This year, I won't, but I have kale to plant yet, my idea being to have a nice winter garden, but something tells me it may not be the case this year. There is a good food coop here in Bellingham, and also Joe's Garden is a nice place to buy fresh veges, which may be my preference if my own garden fails.

There is another type of garden that is overgrown with weeds, and that is my mind, so yesterday I tried something new--meditation at the Zen center. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and with the demise of my marriage, what better timing for looking at impermanence than to investigate Buddhism. So I sat on a zafu in a peaceful room and watched my mind. I remember Ram Das saying to just watch your mind and whenever thoughts come, say thinking, thinking, because there is no judgement--you see. I like the idea of no judgement and teach that in my writing class. There is only what we've put down on the page, no more, no less. When I can keep this way of thinking in place, I do my best writing. No judgement.

Now if I could keep this in mind around my garden, that would be good. No judgment, no concern, no attachment. Either the garden grows or it doesn't. The deer come and go. The weather turns hot, then cold. Seasons come and go. Ahhhh, just relax into the changeable nature of the universe.

Last night I was sleepless again. So I read a bit of Bag of Bones, a Stephen King novel that I'm finding I can take of leave. But I've persisting now and then, reading a few pages, more from a writers standpoint than liking the story, wondering how he's building tension, how he's building suspense. Am I scared? no--not at all. My own novel has a degree of suspense, a degree of heart pounding curiosity, but not enough to really get the reader anxious and wanting to know more. So I thought I'd just see how Steve does it. Maybe another book of his would be a better example.

Well, off to have coffee with a friend. Then back to pack for Spokane, my hometown where the people are behind the times and tomatoes grow better than ever.

Peace, Flower

No comments: