Sunday, August 3, 2008

Picking Raspberries


Two plots over from my community garden is a nice row of raspberries. I wandered along that row the last time I was in the garden and was drawn to pick and eat, of course, (who wouldn't be?) a succulent berry. When I was young this same urge got me scolded by Irene Grimmer, a neighbor, I was only five. I was playing with her girls in their back yard and too a break to forage at the fence, eating handfuls of berries. She called me to come and sit at the picnic table and to help her with the snap beans. Since I'm very obedient I wandered to the table and peeled the strings off the beans and snapped them in half. It was a big mess of beans all the kids and she were working on. I pouted the whole time because I was so thoroughly enjoying the raspberries.

So there I stood the other day, eyeing the berries, feeling slightly guilty as I reached to pick a rip one and pop it in my mouth. Ah, the delicious sweet and tangy and assertive flavor. I ate another and then another and then I got a phone call.

Cell phones in the garden, tsk, tsk. I usually take calls out to the perimeter of the garden, out of respect for the contemplative nature of the place. And especially since it is frequently the ex, which means an argument--most likely that is--although I don't recall right now what we spoke of. Probably my jealousy and anger over him ditching me for something greener.

Raspberry sauce on cream cheese, fresh raspberries with cream, raspberries on ice cream, raspberry lemonade. Ah, change the subject. Oh and the weather. Looks like we might have another cold day on our hands and a little more rain. The air has that chill in it and truthfully, folks are worrying about an early fall. I was awake in the night, not worried about fall, but worried about the zucchini that might be giants by now. They were just fingers the other day, but it has been a couple of days now. I will go by today and weed and pick. I should have a nice spinach salad with baby zucchini for dinner. I can eat with the sheep cheese I took to the wedding shower last night where we drank margaritas until they came out our ears and ate lovely barbecued chicken, sausage, shrimp, and scallops. The scallops were to die for. Oh, and the cake--what do you think the filling was? Raspberry--of course. A sweet filling between layers of tender white cake and a raspberry glaze on top of a butter cream white chocolate icing. Soooo good that I came home with a stomach ache. Just a little too much of a good thing.

There are wild raspberries and blackberries in the woods right now. The other day I picked my first blackberry. Perhaps this year I will put up a few pints of blackberries, enough for some jam or pancakes this coming winter would be nice. I have a recipe for rice flour pancakes that tastes great with real maple syrup, and they're nice and fluffy, for those with gluten intolerance it's a treat. If you are looking for recipes, try Gluten-Free Baking I find it easy and delicious to bake gluten-free.

Best in Gardening,
Flower
PS The pretty white flower has twined itself through the berries. Get rid of this pest, wild morning glory is a no-no.

No comments: