Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dahlias




As I was flipping channels yesterday, I came across a gardening program that displayed a dahlia with a bulb the size of a wheelbarrow. This was one huge dahlia. The announcer said all dahlias come from central and south America. Here in Bellingham there is a dahlia society that has dahlia shows. More about the group at http://whatcomcountydahliasociety.org/


I think this is a strange hobby, since I'm the gardener that insists my garden be independent. Much as an Aries would have it, I guess. I treat my houseplants that way too. You're with me, you must be hardy. So I grow African violets, which I assume are from Africa. Do you know that you can root your own plants from leaves? It's easy. Just take a leaf and make a few cuts along the spine, where the stem travels through the middle of the leaf--then press the leaf over damp potting soil, anchoring it with some dirt over the stem. Then cover it with plastic wrap to keep it moist. It will root along the stem fairly quickly, and soon you'll have an additional plant. I've also just stuck the stem into the soil and waited, continuing to water well of course. And, be sure to use the African violet fertilizer. You'll get more flowers that way. And don't over water, as they damp off easily.


Back to dahlias. Dig the bulbs each fall. This is where I fall down on the job. I get tired of the garden right about this time of year and if I don't return until I'm out there picking chard and kale on a cold winter day, that's okay with me--well I have pangs of guilt, but my short attention span wins out. Today, I'm off to paint. I know I should be off to garden, but hey, there is only so much time in the day, and besides the rain is falling hard.


My friend Debbie from http://www.rainysidegardener.com/ gardens no matter what the weather is doing, but look at the name of her website.... What else would she do? She says it keeps away the winter blues, just dress warmly and go out there. Okay! Whatever!


Oh, I'm being a little flippant today. Must be my exhaustion of late. So I'll get a little better rest tonight. The rain quiets down the neighborhood.

No comments: