Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Letting Go

I'm thinking of potatoes again—yes, they are a soul food and this time of year when we're losing our light, more spuds are a good thing. Today I will celebrate the Jewish New Year with several friends and we will eat traditional food and let go of our "sins". With me, it is the preoccupation with the ex that gets me going inside, all worked up, etc., that I want to let go of. I don't want to think about him. I want to imagine all the new things I want to accomplish and head toward them. I want to learn to be close with others without being afraid. And I want to be in love again some day.

For this evenings dinner, I will roast potatoes. I grew a few in the garden, so will dig them today. I used to grow heaps of potatoes and eat them through the winter. Now, I eat fewer potatoes per my naturopath's recommendation. He says that eating them with protein denies the use of the protein to the body. Thus, I'm only making myself more cholesterol. Eek! But I have been eating my meals this way for some time. I have greens and eggs for breakfast, greens or broccoli and meat for lunch, and same-o same-o for dinner. Oh well. If it lowers the cholesterol, that will be great.

Yesterday I went to the beach with Brenda and Abbe and the grandbaby. My grandson was having a great time throwing rocks and picking up seaweed and walking into the water—he had on his little boots, and then at one point, out of the blue, he ran into the water, fell face forward, and of course there I was grabbing him out. We were both soaked. And he was crying. I didn't have extra clothes with me, but I did have an extra diaper. So stripped him and changed his diaper and put him in the cuddly pack. It surprised him more than anything and taught me a lesson. Got to watch them like a hawk.

We went to Larrabee State Park and Brenda showed me her favorite rocky places. There were some very nice gnarled trees I'd like to paint. And the day was glorious, one of our last summer days I imagine, as the rain will come again soon.

No comments: