Saturday, September 6, 2008

Mt. Lake


On Orcas Island there is a mountain that overlooks the sound and the other San Juan Islands. I haven't been to the top of the mountian in over 20 years. I believe the last time I was there I was with my ex. Now I'm contemplating driving up there and leaving something behind, a act of completion of my marriage. I honeymoon was on this island. I have no idea what the symbol would be--something representing the marriage, the growth, the pain, the learning.


Now I'm in town at the Sunflower Cafe eating crab cakes. I'm contemplating gardens, since there is such a pretty one outside this cafe. Mine isn't doing well; it needs kind tending as I do. The garden here in Eastsound has no sunflowers, however, it does have lovely yellow roses. A rose is a symbol for love. I could take a rose up to the mountain top.


I find it interesting how things come around. How dates jive, how coincidences seem to say, this is a correct move. In divorce, there is a lot of hurt. I was hoping the divorce wouldn't be so painful, that there could be a concern for each other even in the unraveling of the institution. That hasn't happened. There has been more pain caused by ongoing attacks--all because of grave hurt, I'm imagining.


Here at the Orcas Writer's Festival, Sam Green, the Washington Poet Laurate read a love poem for his wife. I've heard it before and hope that some day I will be loved and love like that. So my wish is for great love to be had by everyone, and the hope that all will experience it once in a lifetime.

Flower

No comments: