Friday, September 5, 2008

One Cop Island


Here on Orcas there is only one policeman. That's what I overheard in the coffee shop in Eastsound. And the crimes on the island, basically stuff getting stolen out of cars. The cars don't get stolen, as there is no place to go on the island. Interesting. Perhaps if there is no place to go, we would all be better off. I think that works with highly charged emotional states as well.

Whenever I go to a new town, I contemplate living there. I imagine living on a small island; if I had a falling out with someone, then I'd have to not look at them, or be like Seinfeld when he greets Newman, say "Hello, so-and-so" with disgust. There would always be a discomfort there for me, because I want to like everyone and I want everyone to like me. But that's not the case. My ex doesn't like me—and hasn't for a very long time. I'll just sleep a lot, and then it will be better. If you've read the book Eat Pray Love you will know that one way to deal with grief is to eat. Another is to pray, another is to love. I'm doing the first two right now. And I think there is another necessary element in healing from grief. Sleep.

I'm staying at Moran State Park through Sunday, teaching at a writing conference. It is very quiet and very dark. Something I need after all the noise of Fairhaven, the trains, the trucks, the folks yukking it up at 1 in the morning, straight from the tavern. Here at the park the deer graze in the field. And this morning, crows were grazing too. The smell of the sea is in the air. There is a pace that is slower, relaxing. That is good, I think. A slower pace is good.

Here the gardens are fairly lush. The rain shadow, which is the Olympic mountains splits the clouds and the rain goes around. This probably isn't exactly what happens, but it's my interpretation. Blueberries are a big crop here too, as are wine grapes. I wonder how they keep the deer out of the fields. So many deer.

Well, I'm at a coffee shop and won't be here long, since I teach again at one. So until next time, get some rest and I will too.

Best regards, Flower

No comments: