Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs.

My plot is in the foreground. See, what did I tell you? Now for my thoughts on bugs. There are bugs, and then there are bugs. This year there are a lot of ladybugs in the garden. This is good. Yesterday, I was down in bed most of the day with a stomach bug--ugh! Today, I'm mostly recovered and did get to the hardware/garden store and picked up two bags of peat moss. I really do have a bit of a job ahead of me, spreading it and turning it under. I read once that it is better to turn the soil by hand (well shovel), than to rototille. Now, I don't remember why. I think it had something to do with the tiller going too deeply into soil beyond the level of the top soil. My garden spot has already been scraped of some of its topsoil. They, the folks who once leveled out the site, did that in the beginning when the parcel of land was sectioned off for the plots. So my question is, can topsoil be rebuilt? My friend, Deb, author of Rainyside Gardeners web site says, you can do a wonderful job of rebuilding your soil by making a pizza of it in the fall, or is it lazagna? Which ever food group it is, at the end of the summer she piles on her garden beds: coffee grounds, table scraps, leaves, newspaper, and more leaves. She lets this food item compost over the winter and in the spring, plants right in to the newly built rich, worm laden soil. Whatever hasn't decomposed gets tossed back in the compost bin. Tons of wiggly worms are now part of your garden and the lovely rich soil is just a sniffable pleasure, what could be better?

All for now, gotta get some shuteye. N
P.S.
So I actually went home and stayed there after picking up the peat. I was beat, so I sat on the sofa and worked on my taxes (filed an extension with the ex). Hopefully it won't be raining tomorrow. We live in such a rainy climate that the minerals and salts wash out and up and every-which-way. The soil can easily get rinsed clean of what it needs--so amend, amend, amend, and praise the garden gods so it will be a good day to do so. Tomorrow--if the wind doesn't keep blowing and the rain doesn't come in during the night, I will be back at it.

No comments: