Monday, May 19, 2008

Peat Moss




Well, I stopped at Fred Meyers, imagining these huge bags of peat moss I could lug to the garden and work in to the hard pan, but they had nothing but bags of potting soil and fertilizer, etc. Nothing I could use, so today I went to Joe's Garden and picked up a head of lettuce--the vegie plugs aren't ready yet-- and two bags of compost.
Monday's and Fridays I keep my grandbaby, so today we went to the garden together. He carried the short bamboo sticks I use to mark rows through the fairly high grass. It rained a little, probably enough to not worry about watering in the tomato plants I got at the food co-op--cherry 100s and beef steak.

Tonight, I feel good I got something done, and overwhelmed--two bags of compost won't be enough--I'm sure of it. I'd still like some peat. I think it will loosen the soil. But getting out in the garden is a good thing to do in the evening. My life is so different now, without a husband. I like it in many ways, and in other ways, it is lonely. Not as much now--but still sometimes I pine for the way it was. Evenings in the garden together, walks at dusk. I just do it myself now. I'm better for it in many ways. Circling myself, instead of a husband.


No comments: