Saturday, May 17, 2008

My Garden Plot #18

Well, I have a garden plot. It's about 10 x 20 and has bad soil. Everyone gives me advice. Just do a little weeding at a time and you'll get it done. Another person said, oh, that plot has bad soil. You don't have to tell me. I water it and pull weeds and big hunks of soil comes out attached to the roots. It's clayish--devilish, plowed free of topsoil. All the stuff up top of the parcel next to Padden Creek was scraped downhill to level out the community gardne. Whatcom County Parks owns the place. It's cheap to rent, only $18.00 per year. And you have to do a good job or you'll be dinged. How you get dinged, I don't know. But someone was out there with a clipboard last year noting something on a sheet of paper. My neighbor defended me. "She's going through a divorce. She's in school. She's very busy right now. He nodded," she siad. I got a little miffed at the possiblity that I might get a letter shaming me for neglecting bad soil. The way I see it, it's already been neglected, I have a rescue mission that I must undertake. I'd like to improve it, so I'll add the peat for starters. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Barbee' said...

I like your friendly, conversational style of writing and have read all the way down to here.

I especially enjoyed reading "The Beginnings of My Community Garden". It was a very pleasant read. It also is interesting to me to read, or see, how other people do things, their creativity, and ingenuity.

Loved reading about your planting seeds. I did a recent post about seeds. You write better than I, but you'd like to take a look it can be found here:
CLICK HERE

I found you on Blotanical.