Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bring Them In

Yes, you can dig your dahlia tubers now and be sure to bring in the geraniums and all other plants that are sensitive to the cold. My grandmother kept her geraniums in sawdust in the basement. Dahlia tubers do well in sawdust too and you can split them and give them away or sell them. A dahlia business on the side. You can also pull tomato vines and hang them in the garage. With plants that need to stay a little warmer in the winter, put them in your garage (if you run out of room in the house) and shine a grow light on them if there is no window.

I've been thinking about how lazy I am with house plants and gardens—really I just see what is beautiful and try to keep that going. I'm repetitious, though. I took music lessons from six to sixteen and it was just the other day I realized why it doesn't bother me to put a song on repeat and listen to it again and again. I did an hour of that every day. That's a lot of Bach's Concerto in C Minor and Moonlight Sonata.

The leaves are yellow and falling here in the PNW. Right here next to the bay, we haven't had a frost. Up the hill where it is colder, there has been a frost. This weekend, it will be a little warmer. A bit of sunshine before our next bout of rain. I'm thinking of sunny weather in Jan. I passed up a trip to Mexico in January, but that's okay. I do have to cool my jets as far as spending goes. Like everyone else. That's why I'm thinking I'll make it a priority to improve my gardening behavior. To quit being so ADD with the weeds. Pull and few and walk off, forgetting what I was doing in the first place.

I'm on my way to Port Townsend today, a sweet Victorian town to visit if you ever get a chance. Actually it is as quaint here in Fairhaven, but not as much of it, and not as sleepy. And Port Townsend has the forts and the Strait of Juan de Fuca to look upon. Great beaches and lighthouses and lots of creative events at Centrum. Do visit if you get a chance, and then if you come to Bellingham, look me up.

Must run now, so have a swell sunny day and keep gardening.

Flower

No comments: