Monday, October 6, 2008

Criminy Sakes




Criminy isn't a special type of squash, it is the response to the many things that are going on these days. It is a special response to the drops in the stock market, to the fear that is spreading like fruit flies, to the mistrust that is so obvious with many. And to the letter from the parks telling me to weed my garden. There is only so much we can do about anything, right, like what is going on for criminy sakes--I think my mother used to say that. I wonder if we all settled down and quit freaking out, what would happen? I had friends predicting this market back in the late 90s. Perhaps they were right, or perhaps they all caused it with their thoughts. That's the new age thinking, we are what we think. Which means I think I'm a bad gardener, so therefore I am. That old "I think, therefore I am" theory. Well, I think I'm rich and famous and adored--okay I'm waiting. Huh, nothing happened.

Today it is raining. My grandbaby hurt his toe and it is swollen and red. I put neosporum sp? on it and a cute Peanuts bandaide. He wasn't happy, but a good soak in Epsom salts--just like we did when we were kids, and a little time will heal it right up. Perhaps that's what the economy needs--a good soak in Epsom salts. Sometimes I wonder if it is right for me to be getting divorced. Seems like it's just making a bigger pile of financial headaches for both of us. Well, all the more reason to keep the garden and work my tail off to get it going well. I may need to rely on it for food. I need pearls to wear, however; something light, multiply strands, perhaps freshwater pearls and the rubber boots I own, they're just stylish enough to look good on Sarah Jessica Parker. Oh, poor pathetic me. Am I a gardener or a clothes horse? Both, I guess.

If you want to get rid of fruit flies, get rid of any overripe fruit. Or sic your cat on them. Keep overly ripe things put away for awhile, in the fridge if you can--the tiny flies will peter out eventually. Nothing to eat, and that's all she wrote.
I love the smells right now, all the ripe fruit, all the veges and the air full of leaves and soil and wood smoke. It's lovely--and now a little rain. What could be better? A rising stock market.




Okay, chow down and invest--that's my advice.


Flower

No comments: