Friday, October 24, 2008

Dividing Yellow Hammer


I didn't grow dahlias in my Kingston garden, except for one. And I didn't dig it up and divide the tuber, so I lost the plant. It was a Yellow Hammer. I've seen it growing down in the dahlia garden beside Taylor Dock. Very pretty. I did grow lots of Japanese Iris and those I divided and gave away and moved around. They grew well on the Glendon, the septic system, as it was always slightly moist there. Iris grow wild in swampy areas, so the water is a plus. There are so many varieties—yellow, white, purple. Beautiful.



We've been having some good gardening days here, chilly air and sunshine and the trees. The most I've done lately around my garden is think about how I will get the next things done. I used to have a truck and that worked well, to haul the bark or the manure or the leaves. Once when I was young I went from house to house and took the bags of leaves they put out for the trash and put them in my garden. This worked well, except for when they'd included bits of wood and jun

I've not much to say right now. Trying to recover still from divorce. Trying to get more sleep and to consider where I'm at is where I'm at for the time being. I'll move into a bigger place someday or not. The stock market has thrown me (and many others) as most all my money is there. And my ex, not so sure if he'll stay afloat, which would mean I won't have money to live off of. When push come to shove, the tough get going. Well, I'm tough, but right now a little worn out. I know it will get better, when I'm not sure. After the election. I can see the market coming back up. It's dropped so low though, taking us clear back to the 90s. Eek! Positive thinking, I do believe in manifestation. So think good thoughts; we can do an experiment. Are you thinking?



That's enough about that. So, dig up those dahlias and divide the tubers. Give them away or sell them. And be sure to store them in sawdust. They need to stay dry and not freeze. And bring in potted plants that need to winter over in a little warmer temperature. I think I already said this, but bring them in so you'll have them next year. Around the water things don't freeze as easily, but still, in a cold winter, they will.



Okay, have a happy day. Flower.




No comments: