Sunday, October 5, 2008

Indian Corn


Indian Corn
Originally uploaded by Jaida

If you grow Indian Corn in the garden and regular corn, too, they will cross pollinate. It's fun to grow Indian Corn and dry it and decorate with it, but again, it is hard to keep strains apart. I grew Indian Corn once. The colors, yellow, rust, purply-black, are all fabulous. I like to stake tied corn stalks, pumpkins and ears of Indian Corn on the porch. They are a lovely indicator of fall and soon spiders will have their webs spun through them and it will be Halloween.

The grandbaby is already shreaking at the Halloween things he sees in the stores, balloons with goblin faces, etc. He's especially afraid of skeletons. And then there's the pilgrams and Thanksgiving and the book Turkeys, Pilgrams, and Indian Corn tells the story of Thanksgiving. Take a look.

Sometimes I think about how everything is new to the grandbaby and how parents, not necessarily his, get impatient with little ones start crying or being resistant. But I'm afraid and become resistance, most of us do. He just acts on his feelings immediately, there is no ego saying, well, I shouldn't feel this way. Right now I'm afraid of a lot of things, comes with the territory of the divorcee woman. Yes, I was running home in my dream: late for work, I had to grab my papers and couldn't find my home. I searched and searched, even went around to the back of the houses, I didn't have a home. Now this is sad to me--and although not a reality, because I do have a condo--it's just not too homey here. I feel confined, exposed. I miss my home on the water, the routine I had with my husband. So I'm going to do something about it. I'm going to start looking into getting a home. And I'm going to make my routine, how I do my days, okay--something I'd miss if I didn't have it. Everything is good, right? Yes, everything is great.

Friends forever, Flower

No comments: