Friday, November 7, 2008

Brocolli


Brocolli head
Originally uploaded by kschwink

Did you know that a serving of brocolli has more calcium in it than a serving of milk? As do other greens, such as kale, the leafy vegetables are very high in calcium. If you are like me, dairy intollerant, than greens are a good bet to keep your bones strong.

Brocolli is easy to grow for the organic gardener, but can get aphids. To take care of the problem, be sure to water well, keep your plants healthy with lots of organic fertilizer and if the plants get attacked, hose them off. Often, only one or two plants will have a problem. I keep the problem planst separate, by using the plants around them first. I was told a long time ago to plant for myself, to plant for the bugs, and around here, to plant for the deer. That way everyone stays happy.

The grandbaby will be here shortly, so if I have time today, I'll say a little more about brocolli. Aren't you just on pins and needles? If not, I'll see you tomorrow.

Happy Gardening

No comments: