Friday, November 14, 2008

Raccoons, Rats, and Bears

Cats and squirrels, chipmunks and starlings. Dogs. Sea otters. Opossums. Bear. Yes, I've had all of these in my garden. And as far as I know, it's only the raccoons and deer that cause real problems. Raccoons will dig up table scraps, so if you are the type of composter who digs your bucket of scraps into the soil everyday, and then you find it dug up the following morning, you may do better with one of those black bins with a closing lid. Animals of all sorts are drawn to compost. Once I opened the bin and there was a rat sleeping on top of the compost. It's warm in there, right? Once I headed to the garden and a blind raccoon was digging through the compost. When I hollered at him, he stood on his hide legs and squinted, weaving back and forth like a drunk. Once I came to the garden and saw that I'd lost all my peas to the deer, and once I came to check on my new seedlings and the cats had dug them all up—ah, new kitty box.

Well, some of this just can't be prevented. The most important thing to prevent is rats nesting under your house. That also happened to me. If you have this problem, get an exterminator. Rat poo causes a disease that is deadly. They got into our crawl space, and then nested in the furnace. Eek! The stink!

Okay then, the grandbaby is coming today and hopefully it will be sunny.

LOL , Flower

No comments: