Friday, November 21, 2008

Plot Next Door

I overheard the woman in the plot next to me saying her husband was good for nothing. Those might not have been her exact words, but she was complaining about how much there was to do, to garden and to keep house and to sell the dahlias she grew. Her sister was there with her and she was commiserating, also having a ner-do-well husband. And I'm hoeing away, recalling my ex saying that he wasn't going to have a honey-do list and me saying, what's that? And he has a scrunched up forehead as he blurts, you know, me doing this list of things that the wife says to do. You and all the others are all the same. I laughed. Because I was the mechanic and plumber and electrician of the family. It was the way I was raised, wiring panel boards at my dad's office, fixing my sink drain when I lost a contact, rebuilding the duel carbonators on my Volkswagen hatchback.

But if I had a honey-do list, it would read like this: Hold me, feed me, tell me I'm beautiful. Make me feel safe. Bring me breakfast in bed. Oh and turn over the garden. Please add the right mulch, and those leaves at Brenda's, haul them please. Ha, that's not much though compared to what I do, feed and feed and feed. But that's my work, to love unconditionally. The psychic told me, unconditional love is a good goal for a soul. Just spread it around like sweet jam.

Well, I had acupuncture yesterday and still my head hurts. But I slept deeply and dreamed of this large open boat going down these waters; there were lots of us aboard and we were standing up, admiring things. Other boats where they grew great bunches of oysters and the walls of the river, if it was a river, where rock and covered with plants. The guide told us to sit down and then there was a crack and the boat started to sink. I started to swim and the guide said not to swim. And I imagined crocks. So then this ugly guy was climbing the rock wall. I was climbing after him. I just didn't know what we were going to do next. And the alarm went off.

Okay, gotta go. The grandbaby is coming today.

LOL, Flower

No comments: