Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Endings

Everything comes to an end. This is a painful process for me and I've had my share of it this last year with the divorce and all. Leaving my home on the water. Leaving old friends behind. Even my cat Scooter stayed with my ex. But I have a new home, which is the amazing thing about life. Things wind down, and then they come back again. Perennial. And in the garden the same is true. Letting soil rest is important. Restoring it essential. We all know this. And letting ourselves rest is valid too. I'm thinking now of how I expect myself to be on all the time. Now I know I need to rest. At least enough to recoup my energy and gather my thoughts. So as we approach the solstice, rest is something to give our attention too. Settling into the ending before we go puffing off on the next race. And with the economy the way it is now, perhaps everything is coming back to some point of quiet, some reforming place, so communing place with nature and each other.

In the creative process, it happens like this also. The energy is used, then it needs to gather again. A friend once told me that there is ingathering and outpouring. You need both. And if you don't give yourself the time to gather, there will be nothing to out pour. I'm thinking that the darkness is the time to do this. It is the time to rest more, to drink tea, to let the garden rest, to hibernate. Perhaps read or paint a little or enjoy friends and watch the weather, eat well. It is a resting time that will heal us. It's a natural thing to do.

Well, now that I've said that, I have an incredibly busy rest of the week and must get to it. After this week, my goal is to settle in and do less. To consciously mark off time on my calendar to rest. Let's see if it works.

Happy holidays,

Flower

No comments: