Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Party


My grandbaby calls candles parties. And this is a party time of year, right? and it can go overboard, or rather I can, with too much sugar. The Redbor kale plant is like a party in the garden. And it isn't full of sugar, highest in calcium of all the veges you eat, and when surrounded by snow, so pretty, just looking out the window thinking about it is like a lovely wrapped gift at a party. Don't even have to eat it--which is another gift.

The Rebor the Ripbor and the Red Chidori are fairly expensive kales. All upward of $10/gram. Red kale in the garden however, is astounding and hardy to below freezing, so it may be worth it. I've never grown the expensive ones. I've grown the Russian Kale, that has such a pretty purple tinge to the stems.

When I first started growing kale in Indianola, we had a hard freeze and I thought, well that's the end of that. The leaves looked frozen. But it warmed up and the leaves looked normal and on it went, growing through the winter. If you pick off leaves along the stem and pinch out the top occasionally, you'll have kale until spring.

Today I'll enjoy my writer friends, a party with a toast and a little food. I won't be serving kale, although I could. I am serving green beans and sliced beef—a little bubbly and cookies. So that's all for now. Got to get finished up here. Oh, for orders of kale, see territorialseed.com
Ciao!

No comments: