Monday, December 1, 2008

Long Division


You can still divide carrots. I was talking to someone on Friday who'd been lying in her garden, thinning carrots. She gardens like me: toss out the seed, let the beasties grow until they're pressing in on each other, then thin, transplant, eat, etc. This way you get a lot of plants to work with. See Victory Garden

Yesterday it was lovely again. I thinned my carrots in my dreams and then sat by the water for about a half-hour and watched some kind of duck swim about. My friend said they were buffleheads. I don't know ducks--but I loved how they lifted off them landed again. Their little feet were so cute, sticking them forward like a cartoon character coming in for landing. On the way, we walk the rails to Post Point, trees were full of singing birds. It was lovely. And there were many kayakers out; the water so calm and the kayakers gliding along. Ahhhh, hopefully more sunshine will return today. So nice compared to all that drizzle we had last week.

So back to transplanting. I always transplant the minitures. It works well for me. Although I'm sure there are the planters who dish out the seed along rows in units. These folks have their ways too. Giving garden gifts for Christmas is a good idea. Once a got a little cart that I could pull around on wheels. I could sit on it in the garden and inside were my tools: trowel, pronged thingy, digging thingy, seed, string, knife, iron slug bait.

Always in love with life,
Flower

No comments: