Saturday, December 13, 2008

Snow, where are you?


A big storm was predicted yesterday, and the news folks went wild, like some big wreck or other disaster had just happened. So everything got canceled, and here we are the morning after, no snow, at least not here in Bellingham--and it was supposed to come in during the night--3 inches--and more than that to the south.
I'm wondering if this kind of broadcasting could be toned down a bit. Perhaps if when the weather folks get excited about something, they could just say, you might want to stay home tonight, but we really don't know what this storm will do. Unless it's a hurricane or something. I mean, it so excites everyone.

It's like what has happened with the stock market these last few months. The news folks shouted fire and we all started running. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be a lemming. I don't have any desire to be like everyone else. I do know that being individual takes a lot of courage. One has to be willing to let go--yes, that's it, just let go of the collective mentality.

So if we hadn't all canceled--Eileen would have gone to her lovely singing class, I would have gone to my lovely party, so-and-so else would have... But then again, what happened is just what was supposed to happen, right? That's what the new age thinkers say anyway. Or maybe not new age, but the thinkers that believe in the "now." Everything is happening in the now, and that's just what it is. So experience it and be happy.

I was awake until at least 1:30 in the morning. I had many adventures of the mind during that time. This morning I've vowed to get a practice going that will settle my mind down. I'm such a worrier. I worried about the garden, about what I'll do later this evening, about gaining a pound from all the cookies I've been eating, about love, about loss; I wrote a essay in my head and almost got up and turned on my computer, once I got up and ate cookies and watched TV. This really isn't necessary, is it? All this unsettled energy? Was it the full moon? Was it the gentleman I met at the neighborhood potluck? Was it the art show I'm having today? Was it the snow? I don't know, but I think I'll refer to a well known sage for some good advice: The Miracle of Mindfulness: Thich Nhat Hanh

Okay, so today, I'm having an art show in my studio in Fairhaven. Come by if you get a chance. Love to chat.

Peace, Flower

No comments: