Monday, December 29, 2008

Winter Walk

Yesterday I walked around Lake Padden with a friend. The snow was still a foot deep near the top of the trail and very wet, puddles beneath it in places, but it was a sunny day and the air smelled so good and the company was good. The maples were dripping tannin-like substance, staining the snow beneath then. Winter wrens were chirping. The moss and the ferns were bright green against the white. Nature in winter, ah so good to get out. It isn't always possible if you live in a place where it's blowing and very cold. But here, we get those springier days, even in winter. And when the sun comes out so do the people. And people were out on the trail with their dogs, walking around the lake on the icy trail, passing by the lake with its skim of ice close to shore. We took the high road, which was snowier and easier to walk. Stopped once to listen to the wrens. My friend is an ornithologist, so I got some instruction on the birds in the woods at winter.

And when we dropped around to the lake, a number of ducks were feeding near shore. He pointed out the canvas back, the ringed neck duck, the grebe, merganser, and of course the one I know, the mallard. Ducks aren't my forte, although I know many birds. I guess we're more familiar with the birds we grow up around: crow, robin, sparrow, swallow, owl.

I've heard that ducks and geese make good weeders for fields of mint. Have you ever driven past a field of mint? Ah, the aroma. When I had ducks and geese, I didn't find them good for the garden. Their feet were too big and they waddled through the seedlings, mashing them. The chickens were okay, although sometimes they got too exuberant in the newly sprouting garden. I'm sure you've seen them really going at it, scratching the soil to find the bugs. They loved the tomato worms, those big worms that look like they have huge eyes. Very disgusting creatures that eat your tomatoes like crazy. Fortunately, they are easy to see and pick off.

Must go now, as I have the grandbaby today. Happy all most New Year.

Flower

No comments: