Saturday, December 6, 2008

Potatoes


Those little fingerlings are good to eat about now, with the cold weather here, and the desire for more carbs. It's December and the ground isn't frozen yet, so this means go out and dig the rest of the spuds. I love how crispy root vegetables are in the fall. We always ate sliced potatoes with a bit of salt. Dad would do the peeling for dinner and that's when we got the treat. We thought it was a treat, anyway. I'm thinking that any carrots and potatoes that you eat this time of year have more moisture in them, that's what makes them so crunchy and delish.

When I lived in North Carolina for a couple of months in the early 70s, the potatoes the neighbors grew where as big as bakers you buy at the grocers. I grew disappointing potatoes this year. They are small and gnarly, but it's so rewarding digging them anyway. I've heard from many folks that the gardens did the worst ever this year, so no worries, right? There's always next year.

And now I must tell you about the fabulous sunrises and sunsets we've been having lately. And great walking days. Huh, did someone push the scramble button on the weather, or something. Yes, 50 degree days and sun. Lovely weather to sit on a hunk of sandstone by the bay. If we can get our vitamin D in the winter, this is good. I take it daily, but getting out in the rays is even better.

So back to potatoes, they come in many varieties. I like the yellow fin. Very sweet and good baked or mashed. Also the regular russet is good. And red potatoes are nice in the spring. You can plant peas early, early and cook them with potatoes. I even think you can plant peas in the fall for a spring crop. They could rot, though. Experiment.

And one of my favorite cookbooks Yummy Potatoes: 65 Downright Delicious Recipes has a great potato, onion, and tomato dish. Try it.

Ciao! Flower

No comments: