Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snow Again


In the PNW, when it snows, even if it is as little as an inch, it can turn to a sheet of ice in a minute. There's just so much humidity, so that is what has happened now. A little snow, more than an inch, with ice beneath here in Bellingham. Driving on the main roads is fine but if you're off on the side roads, you can plow into something easily, slip sliding away. The road outside my place is steep and solid ice. I came down it last night after a tango lesson and slipped all the way to the bottom of the hill. Even the brake-tapping thing didn't work well. Fortunately there were bare places, pavement near the bottom of the hill.

Now, let me tell you about tango. I was the only student in the beginning class--because of the snow--and it was a thrill. At first I thought, oh my gosh, what am I doing. He's going to be teaching just me--but then it turned out beautifully. The tango step, the tiny turns, the chest to chest connection. The lead, the man, subtly shifts your weight so to guide you where he wants you to go. I got it, the feel of waiting until I knew precisely what his intention was for me. He said, in tango, the woman is the queen. If she doesn't look good, the shame is on the man. He's made her look that way. This will be a good experience for me.

Okay, I'll now clunk off in my rubber boots through the snow, huddled in my down coat--which is so not tango beautiful, but I will work on letting my feminine beauty show itself despite the weather.

Stay warm, Flower

No comments: