Friday, December 12, 2008

Full Sun All Day


When I was married I had to stake my claim on my garden space, if I didn't, my favorite space would be hoed up when I wasn't looking, or turned under while I was waiting for some pretty plant to dry so I could use it for a bouquet on the kitchen table.
It was an ongoing quarrel we had. You garden there; I'll garden here. Don't cross this line! Remeber as kids digging our toes in the dirt, making the line. I didn't realize that everything was going this way--I mean, work, house things, friends, etc. Always my line was ignored.
Now I know that what he really wanted was to do everything himself, and at the same time, complain that he had to do everything himself. I'm throwing my hands in the air thinking about it. But what does this have to do with the garden?
Well, now that I have a garden space all my own, I'd be happy to share, since I can't do it all myself. Last night at a Christmas party a fellow gardener asked to share my space. That makes two now that would like to share it. He would be a good one, since his plot is so much in the shade. I have full sun all day. Which is nice. But I don't need to be the full sun all day--another words, we can all be in the limelight part of the time, or maybe just being humble is good. Just being a little garden growing quietly.

What can you do with a person that has to be the shining sun all day, every day? Nothing. There is no relating to that person. There's just no way around it, you stand in there light, and that's it. I wonder if there can be two suns on my planet? I think so, but how to convince someone that you are a sun as well. This has been my question, as a woman, as an artist, as a soul trying to make a difference on this planet. How can I shine brightly, being in my fullness, without trying to outshine someone else. Is it just competition? Or is it control?
I think the answer is to be alone long enough to really take root. Something that is well rooted can't be taken over, like mint. It's usually there for keeps. You've heard of the batchelor who's been alone so long that everything has to go his way. Maybe women should be that way too.
Okay, I've gone on long enough. Today, instead of the grandbaby, I get to celebrate with writing friends from the Kitsap Peninsula. We like to periodically do an art project together. We'll be making masks this time. And we'll eat, always, we eat well and have a lot of good laughs. We are all working on being our own suns.

Happy Day, Flower

No comments: