Saturday, June 7, 2008

Can You Guess?




You're right. It's raining. Today is my day to plant spinach, kale, and foot long green beans. I'm also thinking about the garden decorations I have at my old house: purple globe, table made of drift wood, fossil from beach, sun dial. I also have two beautiful pots from Ah Pots in Seattle. In one I have a fuzzy gray plant, the name escapes me at the moment, the other has a rare fern and some greenery that looks like pearls. I have other garden things, but only have a small plot, 10x20, so they won't fit, but a chair and pots and sundial, etc, I think it'll start looking like a room.

I've always liked the idea of garden rooms. I think the garden can be an extension of the house, especially if you lay out the bauguan, the fung shui floor plan, which extends your house beyond its' bounds. In my condo, my bauguan goes out the door and down the stairs. I have a bit of sea glass on the window sill, which disappears regularly, and then I replace it. I have lots of sea glass.

So today, what does the garden teach, as it grows in the rain, the tomato plants getting greener and sturdier, the beans sprouting beneath the soil, cosmos coming up from last year, the seed having blown in from the neighbors garden. I would say, the garden teaches me continual change. It is changing despite what is happening around it, dirt falling with the curl of a worm
beneath the soil, seeds sprout and disturbing a bit of rock and compost. It's forever changing. Everything is forever changing, that is what we can depend upon. My challenge is to learn to go with the flow. To not be too attached.

Ciao!

No comments: