Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fallow


They say it's good to let the soil go fallow. To let it rest. Everyone needs a time of rest, so why not let the soil rest? During a time of change, rest is particularly important. Americans are more driven than folks in other parts of the world--we don't get the afternoon rest, like they do. It would be interesting to find out how those folks in say, Italy, view their gardens; is the garden like a person and the Italian farmer says: it's time to rest, dear. You've worked hard enough. Perhaps here in the US, the farmers says, work harder, damn you, I'll get more out of you by adding this chemical fertilizer. More, you hear.
My plot has lain fallow for some time. And now I wonder if it will really produce a good crop. It's slow and even with peat, somewhat clumpy. I guess not rushing it will be the way to go. I'm in no hurry, although I'd like a lot of kale and chard by fall, so I can have greens over the winter. Here in Bellingham, gas is now 4.25 and it's reflected at the grocery store now. All that hauling food here and there is costing a lot of money. If my garden produces well, then I can supplement my food budget. I guess I had this same thought back in the late 70s in Yakima. Grow food and put it by. I have a great book that I used to rely on called "Putting It Buy." It taught me how to make pickles and to can peaches and cherries and pears. It taught me drying methods for fruit--of course, Yakima was overwhelmed by fruit and frequently I could pick up a box of slightly bruised, odd-sized peaches for $3.00. Makes my mouth water to think about it.

Well, perhaps my next effort in the garden is to get some good composted manure and layer it between the plants. I've done this before in other gardens and it does improve the soil. Once I added bags of pigeon manure and the corn grew 8ft tall. The neighbor came over and when he saw it said, "Man, that blows my mind."
To mind-blowing crops!
Flower

No comments: