Friday, June 13, 2008

Slugs


Well, I never have seen slugs like I've seen here in the PNW. When I lived in Spokane, I stepped on one once, I think it was the only one I'd ever seen. Here, they are everywhere, leaving their shiny trails up your walls beside your front door, even coming in on the cat's fur and tooling around your living room. In the garden there are supposed to be plants that help keep them away. Well, I think they just eat those plants. The lovely marigold devoured by banana slugs. And how about the lovely lettuce plant, and the cabbage plant; should I go on? Here's what I have to say about slugs: get some of that iron stuff that you sprinkle around the plants. It works and it's not going to kill any animals. Why mess with beer or going out at dawn and pulling them from beneath boards. Just use the iron. If anyone has a good reason why not to use the iron, let me know--and I'll pass it along.

No comments: