Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Green Zebra Tomatoes


Green Zebra Tomatoes
Originally uploaded by A.R.C.


Green zebra tomatoes from the farmer's market--well actually, I bought a plant today--this is a flickr photo. I wanted a third tomato plant and a lovely woman who was selling plants at our Wednesday farmer's marked on the green, had Brandywine, green Zebra tomatoes and one other that I'm not recalling right now. I've grown the Brandywine before, and they are so fat and juicy and heavy that they tend to blight before they ripen. But they are delicious and I've gotten a few that have ripened to salad succulence, but these littler guys seemed like the type of tomatoes that would ripen before the rains start again in the fall. So I thought I'd try something different.

It's warm enough now to put everything in. That's the secret to growing seeds--soil has to be warm enough to sprout them, not rot them. There have been no snow warnings lately and I'm actually getting a little tanned on the few sunny days we've had. There was a breeze off the water today, so it was a little chilly over at the green, but mostly, it was paradise. It's lovely here in the PNW. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Today I also got a little bookwork accomplished--still moving towards the divorce from my husband of 22 years. Is that unbelievable. Let me tell you, I've done everything to make it work--he's just not that in to me. Have you read the book?

Anoher thing I did today was eat a little Italian food at Mambo's on 12th street. They have a delicious wine called Colossi Rosso. I highly recommend it. It'd be delish with sliced tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and balsamic. I love this combo, although I'm dairy intolerant. I'd eat it with goat cheese. Trader Joe's has a nice soft goat cheese for only 3.50. or was it 4.99. Either way, it was a steal.
Ciao!

No comments: