Friday, June 6, 2008

Small Mind


The mind of the garden is small, which is good. I've heard that humans would be much happier if we couldn't think. So all day, I've tried not to think. I did buy flower seeds. I went to Trader Joes with Coltin in tow and we bought the usual, fruit, coffee, rice crackers, beef, banana's and broccoli.
Then to the garden store--a new one that was very quaint. I bought Coltin a yellow duck watering can that he immediately latched onto. It's about the size of an hat. Once we got back to the condo, he put his cheerios inside the container. Monday, hopefully, I'll take him to the garden and let him water to his hearts content.


My garden is teaching me about small mind. I can't make things grow faster than they grow. I can't turn the soil over more quickly than I can. I'm limited by my strength, the weather and by the fact that I have a lot going--writing classes, my own creations, etc. So I must be patient. This is true in many ways. Patience is a virtue.

I came home with three packets of seeds: Foot long beans, garden greens, and a variety of kale. In Kingston, my old garden, I have a purple glass ball, a little table I made from beach wood, a sundial. Here I have a chair. These things I will decorate my garden with. Making it a tiny haven sounds good to me, a place where I can let go of my worries and soak in nature. I think the community garden is a good place to do that. I also need a hat.


No comments: