Monday, June 2, 2008

Slow as Molasses in January


The weather, sheez. So cold yesterday, I didn't go to the garden like I'd planned. Cold and windy again this morning; however, this afternoon, warmer. I walked with my daughter before she went to work first thing. We take my grandson along the boardwalk and down around the park. The passenger train passed us by and the whistle scared him so badly, he looked like he was going to cry.
Trains go through Fairhaven all the time—it's just one of the sounds that backdrops the beautiful water, the islands, the breeze, green, green, green. And cold. Don't forget the cold.


June is frequently cold here. And if it's really a rainy spring, I usually wait and plant later, although, one could wait all summer some years. Okay, so today after a long discussion on the phone with the ex about splitting property, C and I headed to the garden. He wore his rubber boots with the frog eyes on them. He doesn't seem to like them much, but having rubber boots is a good option, especially with digging and watering and all.
So I got a pitchfork from the garden shed and haved-at the mint. He had a blue plastic trowel Mama bought him, but preferred the pitchfork. When I wouldn't trade, he threw himself on the ground, one big tantrum; again, sheez.

Once we both recovered from the tantrum, I found a tiny rake in the garden shed, and he seemed happy to have a real tool. So he raked where I'd spread the peat and I dug up mint. I got all of all the mint dug out, but did not finish turning over the entire garden. I was going to document with photos, but the battery was dead on the camera. I took a shot with the cell phone, but it didn't turn out. I did take photos the other day, so I'll include one from the nice hot sunny day we had before the cold, cold, day. Oh, and I planted lettuce. Lettuce likes it cold. It is less likely to bolt, if it's grown during the cooler months.

C did the watering, and had one more fit when the watering can ran dry. More, more, he said. So I filled it again. He watered his pant-leg as well as the beans and then pulled up all the stakes in a fit of anger when I took the watering can from him to return it to its rightful place. So I picked him up, all writhing and shouting and fastened him into his stroller. He drank some water and then he was fine.

Oh, and slow is for how the plants are growing right now. That's right. Slow because it's so cold.

No comments: